Establishing A Safe Haven
Follow three basic steps in setting up a safe-haven in your home:
- Designate an internal room;
- Install a two-way communications system or telephone; and
- Furnish the safehaven with an emergency kit.
It is highly unlikely you would spend more than a few hours in a safehaven; however, the supplies listed below are suggested for your maximum safety. Your security officer can tell you more about how to select and secure your safehaven.
The following is a checklist of possible safehaven supplies.
- Fire extinguisher
- Fresh water
- 5-day supply of food
- Candles, matches, flashlight
- Extra batteries
- Toilet facilities
- Sterno stove, fuel
- Shortwave or other radio
- Medical/first aid kit
- Other items for your comfort and leisure–a change of clothing, books, games